Here at O'Brien's, we don’t believe in the concept of “dressing your age.” It's a notion that can limit us and our style personality. Of course we're not saying to embrace the tired old adage "mutton dressed as lamb", but we do think that women of any age can dress flatteringly, confidently and on-trend. So, we wanted to take a duck dive into this topic and explore how we can all change our mindset and STOP dressing for our age and START dressing for who we are right NOW!
First things first, let's start by throwing out all the fashion rules when it comes to dressing for your age. We want you to feel empowered, allowing fashion to show the world who you are and ultimately have fun with it. Life is too short not to feel absolutely fabulous, so we've put together a few key points to help change that mindset and your wardrobe. We'll also take a look at some stylish women we love and take inspiration from and hopefully, you will too.
Let's have FUN!
1. Embrace Who You Are Right NOW!
Embracing who we are right now would definitely have to be the number one factor to rocking an outfit. It's not who we were years ago or what weight we think we should be! Dressing for you as you are now is the best way to make you feel fabulous in your outfit.
The key also is knowing your own body and what you feel comfortable in because the real factor to looking amazing is confidence. No matter what your age, size, or height is, your attitude towards yourself is what truly wears the outfit.
Have a look at these amazing women and get in inspired by their style and confidence. Let us know who your fav is or if you have a style icon?
Iris Apfel, @iris.apfel
Iris Apfel is the original ageless style icon and screams of more is more. Iris certainly does not abide by societal rules when it comes to how a woman should dress.
Grece Ghanem, @greceghanem
This fashionista can do no wrong! The personal trainer-turned-influencer has a knack for combining on-trend and timeless pieces while embracing the grey.
Violet B, @a_stylish_age
This Melbourne based influencer and mother of 5, always looks incredible. We love her style and support of Australian brands.
2. Get Your Warbrobe Essentials Sorted
Getting your wardrobe sorted with the essentials is a sure way of guaranteeing you'll always get it right. You know what I'm talking about, the "classics" or rather "basics", these are items that fit you like a glove, that style back with your statement pieces, that will last you forever because they're timeless!
Here are some of the basics we think every wardrobe should have:
- Denim- it's essential and worth the effort to find that one perfect pair of jeans which you can style with almost anything in your wardrobe or with new season trends. A stylish denim short and skirt is also great to have for the summer months. Check out NYDJ's range of inclusive denim styles, you seriously won't want to take them off.
- Classic Tee or Tank- because who doesn't love one of those. It's the perfect layering piece. Mela Purdie has a great selection of classic tees and tanks and their quality is second to none.
- Black Pant- Again an essential for working into your multiple style personalities. You can't go past Verge's Acrobat collection for a great pair of Black pants as well as other classic colours and fits for your wardrobe.
- White Shirt- Who doesn't love a classic white shirt. You can go for a traditional tailored look or go oversized for a chic look. We absolutely love Mela Purdie's collection for classic white shirts.
- Maxi Skirt- A gorgeous maxi skirt is a perfect edition in your wardrobe, perfect for dressing up or down. Our pick is Verge's Acrobat Artful Skirt in pumice. It's easy-wearing and looks stunning paired back with a tee or a glitzy top or blouse.
LBD- Little or long black dress is the epitome of classic attire. Our go-to brand for this essential would have to be Mela Purdie, especially any style in the gorgeous Mache fabric.
3. Multiple Style Personalities
Now, I don't know about you but I certainly have more than one style. You know those days when you're feeling super feminine or somedays a casual preppy look is more your mood or maybe you've woken up feeling like a boho queen, regardless of what you think your style is, embrace the fact you may have more than one. Dressing by mood is certainly a great way to keep things interesting.
Here at O'Brien's, we aim to offer a wide range of styles and products to suit everyone's tastes. Take a look at just some of the styles you can find here at O'Brien's.
4. Have Fun!
Lastly, we recommend you just have fun with fashion. Don't be scared to try something new, go for that piece you've eyed off but stop yourself from getting it because you think it's not "appropriate" or "I'm too old for that". Just remember there are multiple ways of styling an outfit together that will suit everyone. The fun element of dressing is where you can bring in your personality and show the world around you who you are.
If you feel you need a little encouragement, please feel free to reach out to us via our live chat online or come visit us in-store and one of our gorgeous retail stylists will help you in finding a fabulous outfit.
Lots of love from O'Brien's x